Note: the sung closing is one found on page 56 of Gathering: Advent/Christmas/Epiphany 2016-17
Advent 1: November 27, 2016 – Hope
Scripture reading: Daniel 6:6-27, Joel 2:28-29
Sermon Title: God Saves
1. Our hope is in God, the One who protects and delivers. God is the light shining through the darkness, leading us into a new future.
2. God delivers and rescues, God works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth; for God has saved Daniel from the power of the lions. (Daniel 6:26-27)
1. O come, O Dayspring from on high...disperse the gloomy clouds of night and death’s dark shadows put to flight.
Light one candle
Sung closing Light a Candle (verse 1)
Advent 2: December 4, 2016 – Peace
Scripture reading: Isaiah 61:1-11
Sermon Title: Jubilee!
1. The Prince of Peace is about to be born! The Kingdom of God is at hand!
2. God has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed, to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and release to the prisoners; to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour (Isaiah 61:1-2)
1. Created in God’s image we must make peace on earth...we shall find Christ among us as woman, child, or man (Fred Kaan)
Light two candles
Sung closing Light a Candle (verse 2)
Advent 3: December 11, 2016 – Joy
Scripture reading: Luke 1:26-49
Sermon Title: Congratulations!
1. The birth of a child is a cause for joy, God breaking into the world is a cause for joy.
2. When Elizabeth met Mary she said “And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me? For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the child in my womb leaped for joy.” (Luke 1:43-44)
1. Set every peak and valley humming with the word the Lord is coming. People look east and sing today (Eleanor Farjeon)Light three candles
Sung closing Light a Candle (verse 3)
Advent 4: December 18, 2016 – LoveScripture reading: Pageant
1. The Kingdom of God is the Kingdom of love, the Christmas child is love incarnate
2. For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son (John 3:16a)
1. Love came down at Christmas, Love all lovely, love divine;
Love was born at Christmas, Star and angels gave the sign. (Christina Rossetti)
Light four candles
Sung closing Light a Candle (verse 4)